Smart. Funny. Writer.

Words arranged purposefully towards ambitious goals.

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Freelance = Free Lance

Greetings and Salutations, Good People of Industry.  As will be revealed in these pages, I really like working with words to make things happen.  I especially like it when a word reveals itself to have a surprising and dramatic past.  Take for instance: Freelance.  Currently, I'm "freelancing" and it's all sunshine, jellybeans and unicorns.  Producing copy for exciting and diverse projects for great clients with interesting objectives.  Good times.  Yet...If you dig a little deeper, and get all etymological about it, all of a sudden I'm up to wicked warfaring for whomever will pay me.  Ruthless! Yeah! That's me: Wicked word warfaring.  I'm ok with that, too.

Freelance
Definition - 
1: a.  usually free lance :  a mercenary soldier especially of the Middle Ages 
    b.  person who acts independently without being affiliated with or authorized by an organization
2:  a person who pursues a profession without a long-term commitment to any one employer

No comments:

Post a Comment